Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Firefox 2.0 Released

Firefox 2.0 Apple CompatibleLinux CompatibleWindows Compatible has finally been released and I've installed it to see what the benefits are.

Tabbed browsing has been improved - new web pages are opened in tabs by default; each tab has its own close button and a button on the right side will always show you a list of all your open tabs. When you have too many tabs open to fit on screen, scroll arrows appear on either side and if you accidentally close a tab, just go to the History menu to bring it back from the list of “Recently Closed Tabs.”

There's loads more enhancements like spell checking, search suggestions, Live Titles, Live Bookmarks, RSS feeds, phishing protection, stronger security, session restore, better accessibility support and an improved interface.

The only downside I can see is that a couple of the extensions I use are incompatible with the new version and have been disabled. This is a pity as one of them adds some seriously useful functionality for my del.icio.us bookmarks so I'm hoping they update it soon as I miss it already.

Given the release last Friday of Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, it was inevitable that Mozilla would pull out all the stops to get their browser update out too so I'm hoping that this release hasn't been rushed and there aren't any major flaws lingering for us to trip over.

1 comment:

Allan Ogg said...

Well, I didn't have to wait long on the del.icio.us Add-On being updated. That's it done and installed already.