Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Scotsys Closes Glasgow Store

As predicted way back in November 2006, long-established Apple reseller Scotsys have announced that they are to close their Glasgow store. To quote their site…
We are disappointed to inform you that, as from close of business on Saturday 9th February, Scotsys will no longer trade from our location at 164 Great Western Road, Glasgow.

By taking the difficult decision to close our Glasgow retail location, Scotsys can use the resources released to focus on providing services and solutions to businesses, public sector clients and the creative industries, through our operations centres in Bellshill and Edinburgh.

However much of a brave face they may be putting on it, Apple opening up their store in Buchanan Street must have hit Scotsys's consumer sales pretty hard. The Apple Store is much more conveniently located for us average purchasers and it's well sited for so much more passing trade.

I've had a pretty good relationship with Scotsys dating way back to the mid eighties when I worked for Glasgow University. I even had a short stint at working for an Apple dealer myself so I know how difficult it can be to make a living selling computer hardware. They've always been reliable dealers with me over the years so I hope they continue in the Apple business.

No comments: